Saturday 5 June 2010

"Moving furniture around"

I have been moving furniture around my living room, trying to work out the best arrangement in terms of aesthetics and practical use of space. Swapped the sofas round, decided they looked better before, so swapped them back again. Decided the two (full) bookcases in the alcoves either side of the fireplace would look better pushed up against the chimney breast rather than where they had been against the far walls, so had to empty those, move them, then restack the shelves. The room is now starting to look pretty good.

The only thing that is disturbing me is that as I think to myself "I am moving furniture around" I simultaneously remember an anecdote someone once told me about how when they were a child, their parents would sometimes shut themselves in their bedroom and explain any noises the child later questioned them on by saying that they were "moving furniture around".

Yet another innocent phrase that I can't think about in the same way anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment