Tuesday 2 March 2010

"Wow, that's a lot of tea..."

Despite drinking a lot coffee, I do like tea. There's a line in one of Jackie Hagan's poem, that goes something like:
"Bisexuality. It's a bit like choosing between tea and coffee."
Whilst I unfortunately can't remember the rest of the poem, I think about that line pretty much *every time* I choose which one to have.

I drink coffee in the morning to help me wake up, and once I've had one I tend to make it two or three but I try and switch to tea after that. I like to invite friends round for a cup of tea and a chat, but if I was "inviting someone in for coffee" I would probably do so in less euphemistic terms. Tea is calming and comforting and sociable and sometimes even medicinal but I have a coffee addiction that isn't going anywhere.

My coffee supplies are limited to a jar of instant coffee for the cup I have before work, and a packet of ground coffee for when I have enough time to make a cafetiere full. My tea collection, on the other hand, has now reached the following epic proportions:

 

(When you click on the image to enlarge it, you will notice it's slightly blurry. This is ironically due to the amount of coffee I drink, making it hard to keep a steady hand when taking photos.) 

I'm not going to buy any new tea until I move house in a few months time, to try and get this collection under control, so that I don't end up in a Go Fish-esque situation (0:57 seconds through the clip).

I spent years thinking that I should watch Go Fish, with it being such a milestone of queer cinema, but when I finally got hold of a copy I was kind of disappointed.  The scene that the tea clip is taken from is lovely (and spot on in terms of the awkwardness you experience when you realise the person you are into is *way* more into tea than you are), but I cringed my way through the rest of the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment